Friday, September 26, 2008

Chickpea Broccoli Casserole

I posted about this casserole recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance way back when we first started this blog. In fact that post garnered our first negative comment (thankfully the negative comments have generally been few and far between). I admit my photography skills were somewhat lacking back then. In fact they're still less than stellar and this isn't the most photogenic dish either but it sure does taste good. I can't believe it's taken us so long to go back to it. It bakes for an hour but it's fairly quick to throw together so it can make a decent weeknight meal.

Start by draining 3 cans of chickpeas then mashing them well in a large bowl. Add a chopped onion, some diced chives, 3 grated carrots and chopped broccoli (I used frozen this time and it came out fine). Mix in 1/2 c. bread crumbs, 3 Tbs. olive oil, 1 cup veggie broth and 1 tsp. salt. Spread this mixture in a baking dish, cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes then uncover and bake another 15 minutes. It's a great one dish meal as is but this time I bumped it up a little and added 1 tsp. of smoked paprika (my new favorite seasoning). One change I might make next time would be to sauté the onions first but it saves time putting them in there raw. We served it garnished with pine nuts and a little more of the smoked paprika sprinkled on top.

19 comments:

Destiny's Vegan Kitchen said...

I think it looks good! And a lot of food that tastes excellent cannot be made to look fancy. That's just how it is! People who leave rude comments are just...rude. :o)

VeggieGirl said...

I thin it looks absolutely SENSATIONAL!

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

I've never tried that. I'm almost embarrassed to say admit it. It just sounds so good and your picture is better than you think!

Negative people? A waste of time....

By the way, I love smoked paprika, too!

jennycestcake said...

I'm so glad to know that this works well with frozen broccoli - that's all we use around here! It looks delicious, Chris!

VeganCowGirl said...

Looks and Sounds great.

Bianca said...

How can THAT lead to a negative comment?! It looks delicious to me.

Isn't it weird how you eat something delicious and think, I'll make this again! And then you don't get around to it for ages! It's because we foodies have to find room to try everything!

sarah said...

That looks and sounds so good! I might have to go buy Vegan with a Vengeance so I can make it.

Chris said...

thanks for all the positive comments this time everyone ;-)

You don't have VwaV yet Sarah!? Make a beeline for your nearest bookstore and get it! It's still the go-to book for us. And if you're not up for buying it maybe see if your local library will buy it - ours did.

theveganfoodie said...

Your picture is really good for real.

Madhuram said...

I got a chance to go through some recipes here and love all of them. I'm going to try this one especially because it has all the ingredients we love. I've bookmarked your blog. Thanks for the simple and wonderful recipes.

Chris said...

You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
This recipe is freakin' awesome. People who see it in person also kind of find it ugly. Whatever. It's all about delicious vegetables. I love this dish because it's just protein and veggies--no wheat/rice crowd up the meal.

The only time I've been disappointed with this recipe is when the onions don't quite work--if you don't cook it enough, they come out kind of raw, and that's just gross. I typically half the amount of onions Isa recommends, and chop the hell out of it to make sure it cooks. Tonight I'm leaving them out all together . . . .

Anonymous said...

I was visiting my sister, and she had made this recipe for her family the night before. She gave me some of the leftovers for lunch. I'm not a vegan, but I thought it was amazing--total comfort food! I'm really looking forward to making it for my family!

Chris said...

Great! Thanks!

RunToTheFinish said...

yeah thanks for posting this link on Kasey's site, i don't ahve the cookbook and it looked amazinb

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

I just Googled this dish because I plan on making it tonight, and wanted to see what bloggers had to say about it! (Thank gourd for the internet.) :) Anyway, your blog (which I love) was one of the top search results, and I couldn't believe the rude comments on your first post about this casserole! Some people are flippin' unbelievable... I think your food photos are just fine, and you always make the food look delicious!

I just wanted to comment, even though I know this post is a couple years old - and the rude comments are even older! :)

Chris said...

Thanks for the comment Jess!

Anonymous said...

I made this for my family, and everyone loved it!
My dad said it was "incredibly good." It is simple both in preparation and in taste. 2 thumbs up :)

Anonymous said...

I made this for my family, and everyone loved it!