Saturday, September 13, 2008

Seitan Patties

I mentioned these in the last post and now those of you who were waiting for the recipe (all 2 of you) can breath a sigh of relief. I've written about how much I like the seitan recipes in the Real Food Daily cookbook and this is an adaptation of one of those. I also like Julie Hasson's seitan sausages and all the wonderful variations that have been traveling the vegan blog circuit but those do come out a little dense. What I like about the RFD recipes is the softer texture.

Now I've created the best of both worlds by baking seitan sausage patties in muffin tins. And you thought muffin tins were only good for cupcakes huh? I'd actually like to find a way to make larger patties that would fit on a bun or sandwich so I'll probably keep experimenting but these are most excellent already. I'll give you the basic recipe and the bratwurst-style variation I made, then you can go nuts trying out all manner of herb/spice variations yourself - I think I'll be trying a sage-heavy breakfast-style patty next.

Seitan Patties - Basic Recipe -

3/4 c. + 2 Tbs. wheat gluten
1/4 c. chickpea flour
3 Tbs. nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/2 c. white beans
3/4 c. water
2 Tbs. canola oil
1 Tbs. soy sauce

In a large bowl, mix together gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, salt and onion powder. In another bowl, mash the beans very well then mix in water, oil and soy sauce (you could do this in a blender too). Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix well then divide into 12 equal portions. If you have a kitchen scale now would be a good time to use it but if not you can just eyeball it. Press each piece into a well oiled muffin tin, cover with foil and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Serve straight from the oven or store them in the fridge then pan fry in a small amount of oil before serving.

Bratwurst-style variation -

Replace 1/2 c. of the water with beer and add:
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
pinch nutmeg
pinch ground ginger

19 comments:

Catherine said...

Wow -- the bratwurst variation sounds incredible! I may have to give them a try sometime VERY soon. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

JJ (Lady Di) said...

Years ago I bought a muffin top pan. I am not sure if they still make them or not -but it would be the right size for what you want. The other thing is that King Arthur Flour used to sell hot dog and hamburger bun pans (the muffin top pan was actually bought to make hamburger buns) but I'm not sure if they still sell them either. Anyway - you might want to Google either of those if phrases if you are really interested in getting some pans to try baking them in. They look great!

aTxVegn said...

I just made a batch of LDV seitan, ham style, for the first time. I like the RFD and Julie's recipes too. I can't even eat it, but I love to make it, so thanks for the recipes!

Kristen said...

Hmm, could you kind of pat it all out and use a larger biscuit cutter to make bun-sized bits? I've not tried making my own seitan, so I don't know if the "dough" would just collapse when cooked without the form.

Courtney said...

Yum! I love trying new seitan recipes, and this one sounds great! Thanks for sharing!

Courtney

Chris said...

Genius lady di! They do indeed still make them. A little pricey but I may have to give it a try.

Rolling out the dough and cutting it may not work Kristen but I did think about just patting them out flat on a baking sheet. I'll probably try that next since it's cheaper than buying a special pan.

Amey said...

Chris!!!
How awesome!
The world of seitan is just exploding! I can't wait to try this. Just yesterday I was thinking about my seitan options... As you know, I love the RFD seitan, but sometimes it's TOO soft. You know? And I love the Julie Sausages, but like you said - they are very firm. I'll give this a go!
:) Amey

ps. hope you're all doing well!

Almost Vegetarian said...

Amazing! I wonder what you would serve with this? Maybe a Thai peanut sauce for dipping. Or maybe ... well, that's the beauty of it, isn't it? The options.

Cheers.

Bianca said...

Damn, those look tasty! Thanks for the recipe! I've been hoping to find ways to improve the texture of my homemade seitan, which often turns out super-chewy. I bet the addition of beans and chickpea flour really helps with the texture.

pavotrouge said...

thanks for the bratwurst variation. My mum used to make bratwurst meatballs for her vegetable soup and I've been looking for a proper substitute for ages; I'll try this!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

How about baking them in a muffin top pan?

Tricia said...

Help! ;)

I made your delicious Seitan Patties and they were nearly perfect. They turned out almost bread-like and I think it's because my gluten is only 75%. Is this possible? Or are they supposed to be bready? I have never seen 100% gluten. Does it exist?

Thanks!!

Chris said...

Hi Tricia... I've never seen 75% gluten. Is the other 25% flour then?

Wait a minute. I just checked the Bob's Red Mill site and they say their wheat gluten is 75% protein. Maybe that's what you're talking about? At any rate, we make enough seitan that we broke down and bulk ordered a 25 lb. bag of wheat gluten. I think it came from Arrowhead Mills and the only ingredient is "vital wheat gluten". If that's what you have then it's the same as us.

Did you make the version with the beer? If so, the beer definitely adds some rise and makes the patties softer but I wouldn't say they're quite bread-like. You could try adding more gluten and less chickpea flour and also try kneading the mixture for a minute or two before dividing it up into the muffin tin.

Top Coffee Reviews said...

I like your blog,You mentioned some interesting things here.I like the RFD and Julie's recipes too.I love trying new seitan recipes, and this one sounds great! Thanks for sharing!

Kelly said...

Mmmm I just stumbled upon this and it sounds great. How do you serve them?

JustSmartLiving said...

This looks great! I can't believe all the things you can do without eating animal products - it's a much more interesting culinary experience, that's for sure :) Keep it up!

Chris said...

thanks kelly... the bratwurst style ones we just served plain with mustard. but you could chop them any which way and use them like you would any other kind of seitan - in a pasta, stir fry, stew, etc.

Jessica said...

what happens if you use regular flour? dare i ask?

Chris said...

Then you probably end up with savory muffins. You definitely need wheat gluten for these as opposed to regular flour. You can make seitan with regular flour but it requires a lot more work.