Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Apple-Sage Breakfast Patties

This is another variation on the seitan patties I recently posted about. Last time I was pondering how to make them larger (as opposed to baking them in muffin tins). The muffin top pan was a good idea but then it occurred to me that we have a set of biscuit cutters/ring molds that has about 10 different sizes (which worked perfectly when we made donuts). So this time I tried pressing the seitan batter into about a 3 1/4" ring mold on a baking sheet and that did the trick.

We've been up at our local orchard a lot this Fall picking apples so our abundance of apples was on my mind when I made these patties. I followed the basic recipe from before but omitted the white beans and added 1/4 c. finely diced apple, 1 tsp. ground sage, 1/2 tsp thyme and 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper. This time I divided the batter up into only 6 equal parts and pressed each piece into the ring mold on top of parchment on a baking sheet. I baked them uncovered at 350° for 15 minutes then flipped them over and baked another 10 minutes. We had them with toast and homemade apple jam.

This was probably my favorite variation yet. Baking them uncovered makes them a little more chewy, which was a good thing. Next time I make these I'll probably bump up the spice a little more - maybe with a little more red pepper and a little more sage.

11 comments:

APLACEFORUS said...

that looks like it was really great! I need to add recipes to my list for Seitan, I am going to try this!
Thanks for such a great post!

Kristen said...

Yay! I'm glad the biscuit cutters worked. (She says with a slightly self-satisfied air.) Sounds really yummy.

vegannifer said...

This sounds like a great breakfast! Good job on these patties.

VeganView said...

oooh those patties look really good. I always try to come up with new breakfast ideas and this looks like something I will definitely have to try.

tofufreak said...

this sounds really good--perfect for fall!

Bex said...

this sounds so perfect for this weather (snow last night!) and I have a bunch of sage I need to rescue from the porch before it's too late.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I like the shape of em!

Chris said...

gotta love the ring mold.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog- love your ideas. I have been playing around w/ seitan that's baked instead of boiled(I've not much luck w/ boiling the stuff) but baked is much better and my family likes it this way too. I have a question though, what do you to re-heat the patties, I tried microwaving them, and it was horrible. I would love to make up a bunch and have later for sandwiches, but so far they haven't turned out great. The dog likes them though!

Chris said...

Thanks anonymous!

If you have a toaster oven you could wrap them in foil and pop in the toaster oven for 5-10 mins. (probably at around 325). Or you could fry them in a pan in just a little oil for about 3 mins. on each side.

Anonymous said...

Check out the 'Chickpea Cutlets' on PPK. Though I replaced the 2tbl soy sauce with; 1tsp peanut butter, 1tsp miso, 1tsp salt, 2 tbl nutritional yeast mixed in 1/4 cup of water. It gave more foul-style taste. I also replaced the lemon zest with 1tbl apple cider vinegar.

All good.