Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Lemon Bundt Cake

What do you do when you wake up at 5 in the morning and can't get back to sleep? And you've got half a bag of organic lemons in the fridge that need to be used up? If you're me, you open up your copy of The Joy of Vegan Baking and get to work on a Lemon Bundt Cake with Lemon Sauce. These last five months have been a whirlwind and it's a rare occasion that I bake something nowadays. So today I took advantage of my sleepless morning and made this fabulous cake. The cake is good on it's own but the sauce really makes it. If you can keep yourself from eating the sauce straight up with a spoon that is. Check out Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's wonderful book for the cake recipe (or try The Millennium Cookbook, from which she adapted the recipe). The sauce is super easy and would be great on any number of baked goodies so I'll share my version of that right now. Put 1/2 c. sugar and 1 Tbs. cornstarch in a saucepan, add 2/3 c. water, simmer over medium heat stirring occasionally until thick, then stir in the juice and zest from 2 lemons. Let it cool, then drink it up... I mean, pour it over your lemon cake (or muffins, or whatever).

11 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Looks so luscious!!

Amey said...

Hi Chris,
I made this cake for our "yellow party" earlier this summer - and I agree 100% with your assessment. The cake is good, but the sauce makes it wonderful!
And it's a pretty easy recipe, which is great. Especially for new parents, I'm sure.
:) Amey

vegannifer said...

What a great way to use your awake time. I'm sure you would have rather been sleeping, but baking is a great alternative.

Beautiful lemon cake. I wish I could have some right now.

VeganView said...

I was up at 5 am this morning too and went for the peanuts haha, i need your motivation! fantastic looking cake!

Mihl said...

I really love that cake. Reminds me of my childhood. I haven't had it with the sauce, next time I am whipping up a batch, thanks for the review!

bazu said...

Oh, I've been craving lemon so badly lately- that cake and sauce look perfect!

Bianca said...

I'm totally on a lemon kick lately. I'm having lemon soy yogurt as my afternoon snack and I bought some Ciao Bella Lemon Sorbetto last night. So of course, I'd love a piece of this cake. Too bad I don't have her book. I keep meaning to buy it.

maybelle's mom said...

I need to find that book; it looks so interesting.

pavotrouge said...

I can't believe I haven't tried this recipe yet, looks awesome!

Joanna said...

this sounds yummy. i love lemons... and cake for that matter. it reminds me of lemon bars, only better.

funwithyourfood said...

Hey, I just added this book to my MUST BUY in the next 3 weeks list.

haha

teddy