Sunday, October 05, 2008

Seitan and Kale Stew

I've probably already mentioned that I used to enjoy browsing through cookbooks (or blogs or TV shows) and finding fun new recipes to try. Now there's precious little time for such things so we're often eating some quick pasta dish or maybe something from the freezer. Here's something quick that I made up on the fly and it came out pretty good (though I'm realizing now it's the second less-than-photogenic post in a row). I did this while baby Jonas was taking a late afternoon nap and it took me 35 minutes from start to finish (which unfortunately is often about the length of his naps).

Chop up about a pound of seitan (or just a package of seitan from the store if you don't make it yourself) and a medium onion. Cook both in a healthy amount of olive oil in a large pot. While that's happening, wash a bunch of kale, tear off the thick stems and tear the rest into smaller pieces. When your onions and seitan are getting nice and brown pour in about a cup of red wine. Let that cook a few minutes then add a small can (or half a large can) of crushed tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and whatever else you want - I used about a teaspoon each of smoked paprika and coriander. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. While it was simmering I made some couscous that we served it with and I sprinkled a few fresh chives on at the end. Probably not the greatest thing I've ever made but better than a frozen pot pie.

5 comments:

vegannifer said...

Great job! This is making my stomach growl. I've had some seitan in my fridge for a while now and I've been wondering what to do with it. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Bookmarking...this.....now!

VeganView said...

That sounds like the perfect quick fix meal! Well done if I do say so myself!
I am not the biggest fan of seitan...that meaty texture just sometimes gets to me, would tempeh work you think?

Chris said...

Tempeh would work just fine veganview...

Anonymous said...

Good post... keep the quick ones coming! I've made your veggie fried rice at least once a week since you posted. It's delicious, fast and relatively healthy. Thanks.

Bianca said...

Mmmmmmm...sounds comforting. I love me some kale!