Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Two from Quick Fix

Have I mentioned we don't have a lot of time for cooking these days? Yeah, probably. Dinner is often a re-hash of something we've already written about many times but I had a chance to flip through Quick Fix Vegetarian recently and I found a couple new recipes to try. First up was the Indonesian-Style Noodles. Which was not very authentic because I used spaghetti, but whatever. It was tasty and fast to prepare. It's sort of a noodle stir-fry with scallions, garlic, ginger, cabbage, soy sauce and brown sugar. We also boosted it by adding a little seitan. The recipe calls for a garnish of cilantro but I really didn't want to buy a whole bunch of cilantro just for a little garnish so I used some of the parsley that's still hanging on in our herb garden. Not quite the same but again, whatever.


Tonight we made the Sicilian Couscous and again gave the meal a boost with the addition of seitan (this time fried in olive oil, soy sauce and agave). The couscous was made with scallions, spinach, raisins and orange zest and garnished with parsley and pine nuts. Not the greatest thing I've ever had but definitely a good meal. There were plenty of leftovers from both of these as well, which is always a good thing.

4 comments:

VeganView said...

I love couscous! I just had one with dried cranberries and walnuts, so good. Both your meals sound so tasty!

Bianca said...

I'm the same way about buying cilantro....if it's just a garnish, I usually leave it out. That stuff goes bad too fast and rotting produce makes me sad.

Chris said...

me too bianca.

Although if you're diligent and store it in the fridge with the stems in a glass of water and the whole thing covered with a plastic bag, it will keep for a week or more.

aTxVegn said...

You sure sound like a busy dad, Chris! Bulk cooking and quick cooking can be tasty too.

Since we're talking about cilantro, I buy it every weekend because it's super cheap in Austin, and I have had to garnish with cilantro instead of parsley!