Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Dinner 2008

The Voluptuous Vegan served us well for last year's Christmas dinner and that Seitan Bourguignonne recipe has been on my list for a long time so there you go. We sort of followed the menu idea in the book, starting with a simple salad of mesclun, carrots and an orange champagne vinaigrette (which is a fancy way of saying I mixed Trader Joe's orange champagne vinegar with olive oil, mustard, salt & pepper). The menu suggestion is to serve the seitan with mashed potatoes and parsnips but I wasn't too keen on the look of the parsnips we found in the grocery store so I made mashed potatoes and celery root instead.

Speaking of the grocery store, the first thing that dawned on me, shortly after arriving, was that this is not an inexpensive meal. Start with the alcohol (red wine and mirin) and already we'd spent more than we do for most meals. Then there's the shiitake and porcini mushrooms (we subbed plain 'ol button 'shrooms for some of the shiitakes), and red bell pepper isn't cheap this time of year either. Having said all that though, this recipe makes a lot. We had it for dinner three nights in a row and there's still a little left over. Oh, and the flavor. Layer upon layer of rich complex flavor. Definitely something worthy of serving company. And worthy of a holiday meal too. Especially Christmas, what with the red pepper and green peas and all.

11 comments:

KAYLiE said...

looks delish

Eating Consciously said...

This looks delicious! I think I am going to whip up some seitan tonight. Do you make your own? Then it's really cheap!!

ŀĀŘ¡ŝ∫Á said...

it looks great!

Chris said...

I did make my own seitan and you're right - much more affordable than buying it in a package.

aTxVegn said...

Ooh, Chris, it looks wonderful! Maybe now that it's been dinner for 2 three nights in a row makes it more affordable. I hope!

Vegetation said...

Mmm it looks scrumptious!

Mel said...

I value the acknowledgment on how expensive a meal like that can be. Thanks for bringing it up while telling us how to make it a little more reasonable.

Susan said...

Looks fabulous!

VeganCowGirl said...

Looks great! Happy New Year! Kevin and I are about to become vegan parents too - so we will keep our eyes on your blog even more so now...since you two have a bit of a head start on us! Be well.

Sharon said...

Wow, looks amazing!

ambrosia said...

I am delighted to see idlis on your breakfast platter! I live in South India and can tell you that besides being an all-time snack here, idlis are also eaten when we fall ill because it is oil-free, easy to digest, and very nutritious.