Tuesday, January 13, 2009

4 meals inspired by 1 recipe

I finally got around to trying another recipe from the Real Food Daily cookbook before it had to go back to the library. Back when I first posted about this book a commenter recommended the Ying and Yang salad so I looked it up and it sounded awful good. It's a big salad with raw red cabbage, napa cabbage, daikon, carrots and green onions and is topped with marinated baked tofu, sesame seeds and an outstanding peanut sauce. Like many other recipes in this book it was a little involved to put together but so worth it.

But what to do with all the leftover veggies? There was definitely a lot of cabbage left over. The first thing I thought about was this salad from a back issue of Vegetarian Times that we go back to on occasion. So I made the same salad from RFD but with the dressing and marinated tempeh from the VT recipe.

I really had a hankering for that peanut sauce again though so for a quick meal the next night we had pasta (whole wheat spaghetti in this case) with broccoli and that luscious peanut sauce.

And finally, I still needed to use up the rest of the cabbage so I made a bit of a German inspired meal - cabbage stewed with plenty of vinegar, and my bratwurst-style seitan patties (still a work in progress but these were petty good).

15 comments:

Eating Consciously said...

Peanut sauce is the best!

ŀĀŘ¡ŝ∫Á said...

wow ! like a chain of amazing food!

a vegan about town said...

I love seeing this pattern of inspiration! If you kept going, it could be like a random adventure. :o)

VeganCowGirl said...

You will have to share the german seitan when you have the recipe down! They look great. I love love love peanut sauce...you just helped me decide what to have for lunch!!! Thanks!

mirbrewer said...

lawd, that all looks SO GOOD. I love cabbage.

Chrissy said...

great post! i love seeing how people use up the stuff in their fridge - very creative!

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

It's fun to see how meals lead into other ones. This sounds like a fantastic chain of events!

private health insurance said...

This will be on top of my food chain!!!

Nicole (anotheronebitesthecrust.wordpress.com) said...

What is your favorite recipe from the RFD cookbook? I have it, but I haven't made anything from it yet!

Chris said...

This salad ranks right up there. We haven't tried too much but I do love the salisbury seitan.

Amey said...

Hey Chris,
what a great idea for a post. The evolution of inspiration, cravings, and leftovers! I love Real Food Daily, but I've never tried that recipe. I"ll give it a shot once I'm back home.
:)

T said...

Everything looks fabulous. Any chance you'd share the german salad recipe? Looks scrumptious!

Kristel (TofuParty) said...

Hey, those bratwurst style seitan patties look delicious. I'm looking forward for the recipe.

Chris said...

One of these days Kristel, one of these days...

I would T, if I could remember it. It was something like this - saute cabbage in oil, add a little beer, cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, season with salt & pepper and lots of vinegar.

Alison said...

Now this is what I can vegan food!
Looks delicious.