Saturday, January 03, 2009

Another Week of Breakfast

The last week of breakfast post was one of my favorites (and yours too), so I thought it'd be fun to do it again since I took off work for the holidays. I've been off since Christmas day but it took a couple days to get my bearings and I started last Saturday with miso soup. I used leftover mushroom soaking liquid from Christmas dinner, plus miso, silken tofu, brown rice and minced chives.

On Saturday night I made granola using my favorite Alton Brown recipe, so Sunday breakfast was granola with soy yogurt and homemade apple jam.

On Monday I made crepes. My German grandmother used to make me eierkuchen for breakfast when I was growing up (which literally translates into "egg cake"). This is similar to though a little thicker than a crepe, and is often served spread with jam and rolled up. For these I made a maple tofu cream with silken tofu, maple syrup and lime juice, and there was some more apple jam in there too - not exactly authentic but we enjoyed them.


Tuesday was seitan breakfast patties with hash browns and a bagel. The seitan patties were another variation on this recipe and I think I nailed it this time. I left out the apple and went back to using mashed white beans, plus I increased the salt to 1/2 tsp., the sage to 1 1/2 tsp. and the red pepper flakes to 1/2 tsp. After baking I also fried them in a little Earth Balance to get them nice and brown and crispy on the outside. If you want to see how I make my hash browns, it was my first ever attempt at a video.


On Wednesday I made Tangerine-Cinnamon Rolls. The last time we did this was on New Years Day 2007 and we thought about making this a New Years Day tradition but ended up doing it a day early.

On Thursday, New Years Day, we made Darlene's Paula Deen veganized Praline French Toast (I also added some chopped walnuts to the topping). This could easily become a New Years tradition too.


Finally, on Friday we had Sambhar with Idli, a South Indian soup and rice dumpling that can be eaten at any time of day. We've made both of these from scratch in the past but this was from packaged mixes that are available in any Indian market.

No donuts this time but we managed to do something different every day and also keep it different from what we did last time. So now you have 14 scrumptious vegan breakfast ideas.

22 comments:

ŀĀŘ¡ŝ∫Á said...

all the breakfasts seem so good and variated!

Eating Consciously said...

Everything looks so warming and delicious! I just perfected my vegan crepes this week. I filled them with tofutti cream cheese combined with a little sugar, sliced almonds, and dried black currants.

Amey said...

oh my goodness Chris!! what a wonderful array of breakfasts! Hearty and light, sweet and savory... you've covered all the bases. I wish I could come over for Week of Breakfast! YUM

Kristen said...

The language geek in me is temporarily trumping the food geek... I'm now wondering if your Grandmother was simply translating Pfanne (=pan) into iron? Like a cast iron skillet that would have been used to bake the German baked/oven pancakes called Pfannkuchen? Curious. And now I'm really hungry!

Chris said...

I think that's exactly it Kristen. I looked for references to "iron kuchen" on-line but didn't find much - maybe it was just her own translation.

sounds good E.C.!

Any time Amey, though it would probably require a plane ticket... or a very long drive...

Melissa G said...

Breakfast foods are my favorite kind of food. I'm drooling right now. I also make a granola I love. If only people knew how easy and cheap it is to make as apposed to buying prepared. Please adopt me and feed me!

Andrea said...

the breakfasts of my dreams...I ate oatmeal with raisins all week. Next time I'm on vacation I'm definitely going to up the stakes.

Chris said...

Oatmeal is what we usually have every day for breakfast too and I was getting tired of it :)

VeganCowGirl said...

Loving the crepes! I can never get vegan crepes to look like....well crepes. Amazing stuff. I am jealous of your bagel...can't find them here in Brussels!
Awesome stuff.

Kristin said...

I love Idli and can't get it here. Is the recipe for the Sambhar Idli in a cookbook or online somewhere? I really want to make this.

mmg said...

Crepes, cinnamon rolls, french toast = HEAVEN. Those all look amazing!!!

Chris said...

Kristen, we use this book to make them from scratch but a much easier way is to find an Indian market and look for the Gits (or other brand) packaged mixes. Of course you'd need an idli maker too. We have one for the microwave that a friend brought us from India but I'm sure you can find such a thing on-line. Good luck!

river2sea72 said...

Ok Chris, I absolutely have to have the recipe for the crepes.

Sara said...

Ok Chris, I simply must have the recipe for the crepes....

Sara (TNC GA)

Chris said...

Sara - if you can find a copy of the book Very Vegetarian, that's where I got the recipe. It's simple though - maybe I'll post it some time.

Back to the "iron kuchen" discussion, my mom just informed me that it was actually "eierkuchen", which means "egg cake", and explains why I couldn't find any recipes on-line. I've since edited the post and if you Google eierkuchen you'll find more info.

Peace, Love and Veganism said...

Oh wow! I eat the same oatmeal every day (cold muesli during the summer) with fruit, and I love it, but now I feel so boring!

bellacola said...

Since I know you have VwaV, I was wondering if you have made the Ginger-Pear waffles? Oh, they are DIVINE! The scent alone is reason enough to make them!

Chris said...

I have, though only once. But you're right - we must make them again soon!

Bar said...

Your food looks very very yummy. I will give the Alton Brown recipe. Looks very tasty!

xxx Bar.

Zabeena said...

Your Grandma's Eierkuchen do indeed translate to 'egg cake', as they're made with eggs. Pfann(e)kuchen and Eierkuchen are the same thing, they are regional variants. My Mum was from Silesia, and she said Eierkuchen. I daresay the more Southern and Eastern regions all use this term. -- What interests me, is: how do you do yours w/out eggs?

veganf said...

Oh man I wish I had the time to make some of these scrumptious breakfasts!!

Chris said...

Thanks Zabeena. They're really just vegan crepes - from the recipe in Very Vegetarian - flour, margarine and soy milk, plus a little gluten flour to help keep them together.