Saturday, January 31, 2009

Split Peas 2 Ways

I know. I've been neglecting the blog. But it's been a lot of the same 'ol in our kitchen lately. The best I could come up with for this post is two disparate but delicious uses for the venerable split pea (both of which we've posted about in the past). The first thing that comes to mind when you think split peas is soup right? Last week I made a monster pot of split pea soup. We ate a bunch and froze some for later. I should write down the recipe too because it came out great. It was a fairly standard split pea soup but I added a package of Fakin' Bacon and also a little barley to give it some extra oompf.
We also had an Ethiopian meal again recently. A co-worker is moving and she gave me a barely used package of teff flour that she didn't want to pack. And the only thing I know how to do with teff is make injera. And in this case, three Ethiopian stews to accompany it. The injera and split pea alecha recipes were from Vegan Lunch Box, the collards were mostly following this recipe, and I sort of winged it on a spicy red lentil and tofu stew but it came out good.

15 comments:

ŀĀŘ¡ŝ∫Á said...

how do split peas taste? Ive never tried them

Nicole (anotheronebitesthecrust.wordpress.com) said...

I love split peas!

Eating Consciously said...

Yay! Split peas! They're so good no matter how you make them.

panda with cookie said...

Split peas are always exciting, if you are me. It will be my soup of choice next week and I've gone wild and purchased yellow rather than green.

Netts Nook said...

Yum Yum yours look great.

EL said...

looks yummy. hope you will post that recipe sometime in the future. Also, I know you two cook from the Veganomicon cookbook - I tried the Mexican Millet as a side dish over the weekend. I had it prepared in no time and best of all, it had a great flavor! I know you have a baby like us so quick/easy are important. i chose it because i never know how to get creative with millet ha. i'll definitely use it again. Let me know if you try it out:)

cosmicwild said...

split pea soup is one of my staples! love it
xxx peony

T said...

Ethiopean food is so good! I can't resist taking advantage of DC's many restaurants tho, rather than making it myself. Maybe I should try, that looks fab!

bazu said...

I recently bought teff flour with a gift certificate, and can't wait to try my hand at injera! your ethiopian feast looks marvelous.

Catherine said...

Must buy teff flour. Search for recipe! (I love Ethiopian food!)

Melissa G said...

hmmm, I haven't had much Ethiopian food. Barely any actually. I made a meal using seitan and peppers from Vegan With a Vengeance. Great book, but the recipe was a little spicy for my taste. I will have more before I make a final judgment.

zlamushka said...

I have been vegan for 2 years and I know sometimes I would kill for something really meaty :-) that is probably why my will broke along the way :-( now after two years of crap diet, I am re-living my vegan journey again with my 21-day vegan challenge, as from what I was told, it takes three weeks to change one´s habits....

I ll be back for more inspiration :-)

Chris said...

I hope we can inspire you to stay vegan zlamushka. And if not, check out all the other great vegan blogs, listen to the vegan freaks podcast, visit vegan.com, whatever it takes!

Jamie said...

nice blog!

visit me at

http://compassionate-vegetarians.blogspot.com/

go veg!

Tessa said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://muffinsnow.com