Sunday, February 08, 2009

3 Weeknight Meals

As I was moving around some cookbooks and magazines the other day I came across an old issue of Vegetarian Times that had a section on "5 Weeknight Meals". And this must have been from back in the good 'ol days of Vegetarian Times because all five recipes were vegan. I thought it would be fun to get away from our old standbys and try some new recipes for a week. The only thing is, a couple of these recipes didn't seem to me to be as quick as promised so I only made three of them.

First up was a red lentil soup with spinach and cauliflower. The recipe called for parsnips and I couldn't find parsnips at the store but we did have cauliflower on hand so I thought, well... they're both white... I think I like cauliflower better anyway. I didn't quite make this in the less than 30 minutes that was indicated in the recipe but it was worth the extra time.

Next we tried a warm chickpea salad that we served over mesclun greens and this one was quick, easy and delicious. Quick because the main ingredients came from a can or jar - chickpeas, artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes. Pretty much anything with artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes is a winner in my book.

And that brings us to the Seared Tofu with Orange Glaze. The recipe called for a side of watercress but we had collards instead. The tofu is just dipped in flour and pan fried, then the glaze that goes on top is reduced orange juice, soy sauce, sake, scallions and garlic. This was a simple and tasty way to cook tofu, one we'll have to file away for future reference.


Update: I didn't take the time to look up the recipes when I originally posted this but they're all on-line.

Red Lentil Soup
Warm Chickpea Salad
Seared Tofu with Orange Glaze

12 comments:

panda with cookie said...

All three of those look good, especially the chickpeas. I might be on a chickpea kick right now, and thus biased.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Yummy! What great meals!

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

Geez, VT really came through with those recipes. They all look good! And I like your subs.

Zucchini Breath said...

Everything looks fantastic! I need to do some chickpeas.

Eating Consciously said...

The tofu looks really yummy!

Bianca said...

That reminds me that I really need to renew by VT subscription! I accidentally let it lapse. The orange tofu looks so tasty!

Melissa said...

Oh nice meals. I recently tried to make a tofu glazed tempeh. It didn't quite come out with the hard glaze the way I thought it would. It just kinda soaked up the juices. I used a cast iron skillet to simmer everything. Do you think it would have been better to use a regular frying pan?

Chris said...

cast iron should work fine Melissa. In this case the glaze was cooked and poured on the tofu at the end. It actually came out a bit thin but probably cuz I didn't cook it quite long enough.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) said...

Just found your blog! It's great. I'm lovin the food...looks really yummy!

Utopian Kitchen said...

Hey, yes, I meant to do that....was supposed to be anonymous, though. :) I wanted to get a gift certificate to a nearby restaurant when you said that you couldn't go out to eat too often, but I didn't have your address to do that, so I figured an e-gift card would be best. Enjoy!! You guys are great.

Chris said...

Thank you!!! We'll definitely find some good stuff!

Rumela said...

I love eating breakfast and always try new recipes. I would love to try the tofu with chickpeas for breakfast. that looks tasty. tofu is also a healthy food option and can make a satisfying meal. The Photos are amazing... I am already feeling hungry.