Sunday, February 15, 2009

Brunch

I'm finally getting around to posting about last weekend's brunch. When our baby was born, a number of friends from work brought dinners over for us. And nine months later we finally got around to returning the favor and feeding them. Here was the menu:
  • Praline Baked French Toast
  • Herb Roasted Potatoes
  • Roasted Asparagus
  • Tofu Scramble Caribbean Style
  • Seitan Breakfast Patties
  • Cranberry Crumb Muffins
  • Vanilla Scones / Chocolate Chip Scones
The French toast is a veganized Food Network recipe that we've posted about before and it definitely seemed to be a crowd favorite. The potatoes were Yukon golds roasted with olive oil, rosemary, salt & pepper, and the asparagus was roasted almost the same, sans rosemary.



My Sweet Vegan and Vegan with a Vengeance were the source for the muffin and scone recipes, respectively. And if you don't have either of these books, rush out to your nearest bookstore (or to Amazon) and buy them now. Go! For the scones I used the basic scone recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance, added the insides of a vanilla bean and a teaspoon of vanilla extract, then I divided the batter in half and added chocolate chips to one half.


I've posted about my seitan patties a number of times before and I'm always futzing with the recipe but I think I've settled on a definitive (for now) recipe for the breakfast-style patties:

3/4 c. + 2 Tbs. wheat gluten
1/4 c. chickpea flour
3 Tbs. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground sage
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/2 c. white beans (cooked or from a can)
3/4 c. water
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. soy sauce

In a large bowl, mix together wheat gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, salt, herbs and spices. In another bowl, mash the beans very well with a potato masher then mix in water, oil and soy sauce (you could do this in a blender too). Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix very well then divide into 8 equal portions. If you have a kitchen scale now would be a good time to use it but if not you can just eyeball it. Form each portion into a thin 3" patty and place on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes, flip patties then bake another 10 minutes. You could serve them straight from the oven but to bring them up to another level fry them in a little Earth Balance margarine for a couple minutes on each side first.

That brings me to the tofu scramble. In all the time I've been writing this blog I've never posted my tofu scramble recipe. That's in part because there are a bazillion tofu scramble recipes already on-line. And I think it's like what I've heard said about curry powder - that there are as many recipes for curry powder as there are cooks in India. I think there are also as many tofu scramble recipes as there are vegan cooks. All that said, here's how I like to do my tofu scramble and also how I changed it up for this brunch.

Basic Tofu Scramble

2 Tbs. olive oil
1 c. diced onion (1 small or half a large onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. turmeric
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 lb. firm or extra firm tofu, drained and pressed (or at least patted dry)
2 tsp. lemon juice
3 Tbs. nutritional yeast

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until it starts getting soft, then add garlic, paprika, turmeric, salt & pepper and cook another minute or so. Add lemon juice and stir quickly then crumble tofu into the pan and stir well to coat with all the seasonings (it doesn't have to be finely crumbled - a few larger chunks are OK). Continue cooking and stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes, then mix in nutritional yeast. Cook for another minute or two then remove from heat.

For Caribbean style replace the lemon juice with lime juice and add to the spices:
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. allspice

Then towards the end, stir in the following:
3 Tbs. diced mango
3 Tbs. diced papaya (or more mango)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large carrot, shredded
2-3 Tbs. chopped cilantro

Not the best picture but here's how it looked for brunch.

11 comments:

Amey said...

what a sweet idea to treat all your helpful friends to a thank you brunch! I'm so glad you finally shared your seitan recipe - I can't wait to try it!
:)

The Voracious Vegan said...

What a kind gesture! And what a lovely meal. So many delicious things to choose from. Just beautiful!!!

Vegetation said...

Mmmm I LOVE your seitan patties! I'll definitely be trying those and soon.

It looks like a wonderful meal. I'm sure your friends were more than thrilled. It's so nice of you to return the favour with a nice sit down brunch.

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

I'll bet your friends were thrilled! That's so thoughtful of you.

Thank you for sharing your recipes. I love how the seitan patties are 'for now'. I know that feeling!

Bianca said...

Mango in a tofu scramble sounds amazing! I'm gonna have to give your Caribbean version a shot.

Anonymous said...

Seitan makes me happy! I cannot wait to try this out! You know, I would post your links and recipes on RawPeople. There are a bunch of vegans and raw foodists who would appreciate your ideas. Love it! http://www.rawpeople.com/?utm_source=A&utm_medium=B&utm_campaign=C

Melly G said...

I think I need to move closer to you guys. Thank you so much for sharing recipes.

Anonymous said...

I just had to say how awesome those breakfast patties are! Did you come up with the recipe yourself? It's amazing.

Chris said...

Sort of. It started with the Real Food Daily seitan recipe, but my recipe is quite removed from that now.

Anonymous said...

Making tofu at home is fairly simple, get yourself a soy milk maker and a tofu kit. This will you some money.

http://www.soymilkmaker.com/index.html

Rumela said...

Yum,Yum and YUM!!!!! I love tofu so much. How nice your tofu scramble recipes. this is such a nice and interesting recipe. I ve never heard of it before but sounds delicious. ooooooooh! my mouth is watering. Can't wait to try it. i ll make this weekend when my hubby will be at home. thank you for shearing your post.