Monday, February 23, 2009

A Week of Soup

I have to start by giving credit where it's due because this was Darlene's idea. She thought the week of breakfast was fun and since it's winter it might also be fun to try a new soup recipe every night for a week. This started after she made a variation of the Pho recipe from Quick Fix Vegetarian. This recipe is itself a variation on a Vietnamese beef noodle soup, using seitan instead of beef. We didn't have seitan so she made a quick seitan batter (wheat gluten and water), then tore off little pieces and cooked them with the soup. She also added a can of coconut milk, which isn't authentic but sure was good.


The next night our fridge was looking sparse but we did have canned chickpeas so I made this chickpea soup recipe I found in a back issue of Vegetarian Times. It was fairly light, like more of a first course, but we had it with a salad and bread and it made an OK dinner. Here it's garnished with chopped parsley and chili oil.

We started next on a trio from Veganomicon. First up was the Spicy Peanut and Eggplant Soup. Only we couldn't find eggplant so we went with sweet potatoes instead. I know, sweet potatoes are quite different from eggplant but they really worked well with this peanut butter and tomato based soup.


Next it was a quick minestrone from Quick Fix Vegetarian. Honestly I've had better minestrone but this was thrown together quickly with canned tomatoes and chickpeas and frozen vegetables and it made for an easy weeknight meal.


Then it was back to Veganomicon for the Baked Potato and Greens Soup with Potato-Wedge Croutons. We baked the potatoes ahead of time so the soup came together fairly quickly, but it definitely took me longer than the 30 minutes suggested in the book. But I admit to being a rather slow cook. At any rate, it was worth it as this was an awesome potato soup with kale and earthy spices (I never would've thought to put fennel in potato soup). And the cornmeal-breaded and fried potato wedge on top was the perfect accompaniment.

The last in our V-con trio was the Ancho-Lentil Soup with Grilled Pineapple. I never would've thought to put pineapple in lentil soup either but it worked well. This was another weeknight meal so we simplified it considerably by skipping on the homemade ancho chile powder and just using store-bought chile powder. I'm sure it's much better with homemade but this was the quick version. It would also be better with fresh grilled pineapple but in our quick version we used canned pineapple that we sautéed in a little Earth Balance.


Last but certainly not least was the Taco Soup from Nava Atlas' Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons. This is a newly released re-issue of her excellent book Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons. This particular recipe is not much different from a chili. It was excellent on its own, but was made even more so by the addition of some righteous vegan cheese. And that's a story for another post.

13 comments:

Eating Consciously said...

Wow, that's a lot of soup. I usually don't get around to having soup more than once or twice a month. Maybe I should do it more often ;)

Kristin said...

I don't think you can tease us like that about "righteous vegan cheese" and not tell us more. No fair. I've never had a vegan cheese that I would call righteous. Do tell!

Chris said...

OK Kristen. We got some Sheese and we'll be cooking more with it and posting about it soon hopefully :)

steph said...

some of these soups look fantastic!

mel said...

Yummy, I'm feeling the soup.

EL said...

so out of all the soups you made, which one would you say you liked very best?? just curious. Thanks!

twoveganboys said...

All these soups look delicious.

Chris said...

I think it was the sweet potato-peanut EL. Something about peanut butter in soups/sauces...

The Voracious Vegan said...

Wow. I love soup so you can imagine how hungry this post just made me! Good thing it's dinner time because my stomach is growling! Great post!

HangryPants said...

All of the soups look delicious!!!!

Misty said...

I'm definitely going to try the potato soup recipe from Veganomicon now. It looks so yummy. One thing I have noticed about V-con though, their food is fabulous, but you have to take their cooking times with a grain of salt. You definitely have to be ready to change the cooking times around.

Elizabeth Jarrard said...

That is such a wonderful idea!! I'm definitely going to have to try a themed week-and soup will definitely be the first!

Alex said...

love your blog. you got so many great vegan recipe