Saturday, March 14, 2009

Blueberry-Walnut Scones


It was another morning where I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep, so I went into the kitchen to make something for breakfast. Something different from our usual oatmeal that is. My first thought was to make something fun we haven't tried before but with creativity lacking at 6 a.m. I turned to a tried and true recipe - scones from Vegan with a Vengeance. I jazzed them up a bit by adding blueberries and walnuts, the combination of which I think is quite delicious. So now I'm going to cheat a little (ok, a lot) by essentially just copying Isa's recipe here.

3 c. flour (I used 2 c. white and 1 c. whole wheat pastry)
2 Tbs. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. canola oil
1 1/4 c. soy milk + 2 tsp. cider vinegar
1 c. frozen blueberries (or fresh if you've got 'em)
3/4 c. chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 400° and lightly oil a sheet pan (or 2). Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl then gently mix in the soy milk/vinegar and canola oil. Now fold in the blueberries and walnuts. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto sheet pan, flatten the tops just a bit and sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes until slightly browned on the bottom.

12 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Classic deliciousness!!

panda with cookie said...

I wish I had a scone this morning. Yum!

Eating Consciously said...

I have been trying to perfect scones. I'll have to try these.

Vegetation said...

Mmmmm scones....mmmm blueberries....mmmmm blueberry scones.

Vegan Eating Out said...

They look yummy and so easy to make :)

Bianca said...

I haven't tried her blueberry walnut scones yet, but the banana ones were really yummy!

Stay Vegan! said...

Those scones are awesome without the blueberries and nuts. I'll have to try it this way, sounds awesome!

Melissa Gutierrez said...

I would really like to try these. But I would use agave nectar. Any advice on how to do that?

Chris said...

Since there's only 1/4 c. sugar, I think you could leave it out and maybe add a couple Tbs. agave - that shouldn't change the consistency too much.

JAM said...

I just made these - they are really, really good. Very light and fluffy - this recipe is a keeper! Thanks

happyherbivore.com said...

YUM! I am running to the kitch to make these... oh how they will HIT THE SPOT.

James Reno said...

What a great recipe. I love this site, and I love blueberries!

To Your Health!
James Reno (editor)
Raw-Food-Repair.com