Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cooking with Beer

I'm not a huge beer drinker but I do like to toss back a cold one now and then. I think it's fun to cook with alcohol too, so when I saw the article on cooking with beer in the latest issue of Vegetarian Times I made it a point to try some of the recipes (4 of the 5 recipes are vegan too - bonus!). Plus this gave me an excuse to pick up a variety pack of local brew. A few days ago I made the Tempeh in Hearty Mushroom-Lager Sauce. It was simple to make and tasted amazing. Basically it's a mix of button and shiitake mushrooms simmered in beer with fried tempeh added at the end. We had it over red quinoa with some nice chard on the side (that I also simmered in beer).


Last night I made the Ale-Braised Cabbage with Leeks, and this was also a winner. Especially with tasty seitan patties on the side. I still have plenty of beer in the fridge so maybe I'll try the black bean chili next.

14 comments:

Jon said...

You need to start posting recipes! I have a pretty good and unique chili with beer in it that I just made tonight:
http://fish.freeshell.org/Recipes.htm#_Toc219954290

aTxVegn said...

These recipes look good! I think beer is the "it" ingredient this year.

Chris said...

I know Jon... I'm just too lazy to re-type them.

panda with cookie said...

Both of those look delicious.

Carrie said...

Yum!! I've never cooked with beer, I'm going to have to give this a try.

Em said...

mmmmm

Bianca said...

Cooking with beer is the best thing ever! I love beer beans, beer bread, beer chili, you name it. I accidentally let my VT subscription lag, but I'll have to physically buy that issue!

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

I don't like beer on it's own, but I love it in cooking. I've been eying that recipe, too. Yum!

Eating Consciously said...

how can you go wrong with beer?

avegancalledbacon said...

Mmm, I'm absolutely going to try the tempeh one.

I made a stew recently with A WHOLE BOTTLE OF WINE in it! And since then I've made it three more times because it was so fine. (Though recently with 1/4 bottle of wine because it's fine, but expensive).

Misty said...

What all did you put in your chard? Chard simmered in beer sounds intriguing.

Jillian of Bitchin' Vegan Kitchen said...

I just made the ale tempeh too and it is delicious! Next I want to do a beer-cheez sauce I think...

Stella said...

You can't really go wrong with a post titled "Cooking With Beer".

Sylvia said...

I've had the beer cheese fondue at The Melting Pot before. It is BOMB!
-Sylvia
Cigar Reviews