Friday, March 20, 2009

Even Easier Curry

A few months ago I posted about this curry recipe I saw on Good Eats. It was quick and easy but nowadays I'm always looking for quicker and easier. Thankfully an Indian market recently opened right next door to my office. It was there I found this chana masala spice mix.

We tried it once with chickpeas and tomatoes per the package instructions, but I also figured it would be good to use with the aforementioned curry recipe. Oh sure, grinding and/or mixing your own spices is really the way to go but that takes time. For this shortcut I minced a couple cloves of garlic and cooked that in oil with a couple teaspoons of the spice mixture for about 30 seconds. Then I added some frozen veggies and a can of chickpeas and cooked until they were heated through. I added soy yogurt at the end and we had our "curry" over brown rice. Quick and delicious!

9 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

LOOOOOOVE Chana Masala!!!

Virginia said...

i am craving that right now, it looks so good!

Eating Consciously said...

you really can't go wrong with curry!

Stay Vegan! said...

I've seen that stuff before and passed. I guess I assumed that it wasn't vegan. That'll teach me a lesson!

VeganCowGirl said...

hmmmm Adding soy yoghurt! Great idea to mimic some of the real curry taste, without a coconut milk base. Num Num.

Hope all is well with the baby!

pavotrouge said...

those mixes are really good! I haven't seen them in stores for a long time :(

Bianca said...

I saw some similar packaged spice mixes at an international grocery here and wondered how they were. I may have to pick a few boxes up.

Melissa said...

Hehe, I got that spice mix a few months ago and just made it (per instructions) on Sunday. I was kinda sorry it took me so long to make it.

rickdog said...

Try it with Chana Dal. Chana dal is an amazing bean that has the lowest glycemic index of any bean/legume, around 5! It's much tastier that chickpeas and is also higher in protein and fiber. It's a great food for diabetics.

http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html