Sunday, March 29, 2009

Seitan, Mushroom and Veggie Stew

First things first. A recipe will follow but the main point of this post is to announce that I'm putting the blog on hiatus for an indefinite period. This is our 600th post but it'll also be the last for a while. It took two years to get to 500 posts and another year and a half to get another hundred up. Which says something about the amount of time we have now. Not that quantity is more important than quality, but I'm having a harder time with the quality these days too. I'm generally happy with most of the recent posts but I'm struggling more to come up with creative ideas for posts and more importantly, to find the time to actually execute those ideas. Most of our meals lately are repeats of things that have already been posted here. I do have a number of ideas rattling around my brain and I hope to eventually find the time for them. Maybe as I do I'll save them and get back to posting once I have some things in the can.

At any rate, a huge thank you to all our readers for the comments and inspiration these last 3+ years. Keep us in your feed readers or otherwise stay tuned - I hope we'll be back here in the near future. (We're not totally done with blogging either because Darlene is about to start a mommy blog - if you're interested in that, she'll be here.)

Now for the recipe - I had some seitan patties that were seasoned in sort of an Italian sausage style and I was looking for a way to use them. When I went to our local produce market I found some nice broccoli and yellow squash, and also a decent deal on dried porcini mushrooms, so here's what I came up with.


1 c. dried porcini mushrooms
1 c. boiling water
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 lb. seitan, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1/2 ts. dried basil
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 c. red wine
1 medium yellow squash, quartered and sliced
2 c. broccoli florets
1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste

In a small bowl, pour boiling water over porcinis, let stand for 15-20 minutes, then drain and dice mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook onion in olive oil over medium heat for a minute or two then add seitan. Cook for several more minutes until seitan and onion are starting to brown a little then add garlic, marjoram and basil and cook another minute. Add tomatoes and wine and cook a couple more minutes, then add squash, broccoli, salt & pepper, plus the mushrooms and their soaking liquid. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat and simmer until broccoli and squash are cooked to your liking, 5-10 minutes. Serve with rice or pasta.

26 comments:

SusanV said...

I remember how in the first few years of parenting, just being a parent crowded out everything else; I also remember having to schedule time just to take a shower! So I can definitely understand taking a blogging hiatus. 600 posts is a major accomplishment. (It took me over 3 years just to get to 500.) You've been a huge inspiration for a lot of us, and if you need to take a break, I know we'll be here when you post again. And of course, there's always Twitter! :)

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog!
thanks for updating all these years.

Courtney said...

Congrats on 600 posts--wow! That is a lot! I will miss your posts, but I wish you the best of luck!

Courtney

Lisa said...

You will be missed! Thanks for all of your great posts and food inspiration, and best of luck to you!

Kristen said...

Good luck with everything! Thanks for all the delightful dishes you've shared.

Serene said...

I'll miss your posts, but I totally support your priorities. Best to you and your family!

Jon said...

It's been fun and inspiring reading about all the incredible dishes!

Vegetation said...

Awww I only fairly recently found your blog and love it. I'll miss your posts, but as a Mum of 3 I totally understand that sometimes being a parent takes up major time!

I also empathize with the lack of idea's (not that I've noticed you having a lack of them). I've been struggling with the same thing lately.

I'll look forward to a time when you have time to post again :)

Zabeena said...

Hi,
sometimes one needs to concentrate on other things (I'm always amazed when people with small children still manage to blog!), and the nice thing about blogger is that they don't delete your blog. I left mine for a long time and was able to take up blogging again, just like that.Thanks for the inspiration given (this is a mainly carnivore household, so any veggie dishes have to be spectacular!)Wishing you all the best for the future,,and hope to see you here again some day!

Eating Consciously said...

This stew looks really filling. I don't make stews too often, but I love the combination of seitan, broccoli, and rice. So simple, but so satisfying.

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog has been an inspiration to me during the two and a half years that I have been a vegan. Thank you for all of your time and effort. Best wishes to you and your family.

jodye said...

Ooh this looks delicious, I love dried porcinis! Congrats on 600 posts, too!

veganf said...

Wow, congrats on post 600. But I'll miss visiting your blog!! I hope you can find the time for a once a month "best meal" recap or something along those lines.

Bex said...

600 posts is amazing. I struggle to post once a month sometimes.

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

jenny said...

Yum!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog...gonna miss it.

Dolores

Chris said...

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I'm hoping to get back to blogging at some point this spring/summer so stay tuned.

panda with cookie said...

I'll miss you during your hiatus. I have been behind in my blog reading and just saw this.

pksarna said...

Oh, Chris and Darlene! I've enjoyed your blog so! You've both have contributed hugely to my vegetarian (leaning vegan) lifestyle. Thank you for the years of inspiration, and openly sharing. (I've been a particular fan of your holiday meals!)

Looking forward to seeing you back on the scene. Thank you again!

Puja
(Long time reader, only rarely commenter!)

bobatea said...

Thanks for these precious recipes, I love it all time.

Wheeler's Crew said...

600 posts, awesome! The stew looks so yummy!

Amelia said...

Are you ever coming back???

Cyber Rainbow said...

looks tasty

the twins said...

thanks for the recipe!

Sujan Patricia said...

Looks delicious and So simple,I made veggie stew, I used tons of fresh veggies, made enough for a family of 4 for two nights.