Sunday, March 01, 2009

Vegan and Cheesey

Not long ago a wonderful vegan friend gave us a gift certificate to Food Fight Grocery. It's the best gift we've received in a long time, and that includes what we got each other for Christmas. We got some yummy snacks (Tings are so addictive!) but perhaps what we were most excited about was the opportunity to try Sheese, the vegan cheese that everyone's talking (or blogging) about. We opted for the sharp cheddar style and the blue style and we already had in mind an application for each one. In the last post I mentioned that we had the cheddar style on a taco soup, but what we really wanted to do was make tacos. We also got a boxed taco filling mix from Food Fight so this was a super-easy weeknight meal. We toasted blue corn taco shells and added the taco filling along with salsa, shredded lettuce and shredded Sheese.


It's been a long time since either of us has had cheese but this stuff really reminded us of the dairy-based stuff (but without the cruelty). It shreds well and tastes great - in fact I'd go so far as to say it's hands down the best vegan cheese I've had.

Another obvious application is pizza. We weren't sure about how tasty the mozzarella style would be so we went the very non-traditional route. Neither of us were vegan in college and we both have had our fair share of Buffalo chicken wings in the past, especially since Darlene grew up in Western New York. Wings are frequently served with blue cheese dressing and we were seeking to create a similar flavor profile using the blue style Sheese. The sauce for our pizza was a mix of equal parts hot sauce and melted Earth Balance margarine. On top of that was some chicken-style seitan; more hot sauce went on top of that, and our pie was topped with the shredded Sheese. It didn't melt all that well but that didn't bother us because this was one awesome pizza! I had some dough and a little of the sauce left so I also made bread sticks topped with the sauce. Quite the fun and tasty meal!


15 comments:

HangryPants said...

I looooove Tings!

The tacos look wonderful. :D

Vegetation said...

Mmmmm you're making my tummy growl!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Great ideas! I have heard so much about sheese, I really wish I could try some. Unfortunately we don't have ANY vegan cheese whatsoever in this entire country. I will have to live vicariously through your 'cheesy' exploits!

samantha said...

Oh my God - tacos are some of my favorite food. And here you have me looking at blue tacos stuffed with vegan sheese!!! They look great and hopefully will turn out well when I try them this weekend for my vegan relatives!. Thanks.

Eating Consciously said...

I love grilled sheese!

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

You really put that GC to good use!

Utopian Kitchen said...

Yay! I'm glad you got something you wanted to try (along with special treats you KNEW you'd love - Tings!!!).

lazysmurf said...

those blue tacos look so good!

Bianca said...

Hot wings pizza is such a great idea! I love that you used hot wing sauce as the base!

I like the Sheese- I tried the Smoked Cheddar and another flavor (I think gouda, is that one?). Anyway, they were good. Teese is still my fave. And FYH is a close second. But I'd rate Sheese over Veganrella anyday.

Desdemona said...

I love that blue Sheese; the cheddar and chive one is really good, too. Try grating some up and mixing it with EB, nooch, some salt & pepper and making twice-baked potatoes: YUM. We can't buy it locally so I have to order it from Food Fight, which is probably a good thing since otherwise I'd be in danger of bankrupting myself!

panda with cookie said...

Sheese and Cheezley are both very good. We need more importion of both so they become cheaper.
best vegan cheeses I have had.

BJ said...

DELICIOUS LOOKING

jodye said...

I haven't tried sheese, but I have tried teese.. I'll have to put that on my list. And mmm tacos!! I haven't had them in sooo long and yours look amazing!

Stella said...

OH.

That all looks great. Tacos are so fantastic. I haven't had blue corn in ages - lightbulb moment!

Rumela said...

I love eating breakfast and always try new recipes. I would love to try the pizza for breakfast. that looks tasty. pizza is also a healthy food option and can make a satisfying meal. The Photos are amazing... I am already feeling hungry.