Saturday, June 27, 2009

Pasta Stir Fry with Beet Greens


We've gotten beets several times from our CSA and thankfully the greens have always been included. You can use beet greens in any recipe that calls for greens. They're a little more delicate than kale or collards, though they don't cook quite as fast as spinach. We got shiitake mushrooms once too so I threw together this stir fry one night and we had it with pasta.

1 lb. pasta, cooked
2 Tbs. peanut oil
1 carrot, sliced diagonally
1 bunch beet greens, sliced
3 oz. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 spring onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp. minced ginger
cilantro for garnish

For the sauce, whisk all this together in a small bowl:
1 c. veg. broth
1 Tbs. rice vinegar
2 Tbs. soy sauce
2 tsp. maple syrup
1 Tbs. cornstarch

Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large wok or skillet. Add carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring frequently. Add beet greens and mushrooms and cook several more minutes until all the veggies are starting to get tender. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook for another minute. Stir in the sauce and cook just until it starts to thicken. Finally, add the pasta, mix well and turn off the heat. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.

7 comments:

panda with cookie said...

It's been so nice to see you back and posting.

Chris said...

Thank you! Comments like that keep me coming back :)

Bianca said...

I don't know why, but I'm always scared to cook my beet greens. I love collards and kale and chard and everything else (except turnip greens...ick!). I'd probably like beet greens, but there's just something that weirds me out about them. They look really tasty in this dish!

Sapphi said...

So cool that you posted this recipe. I was trying to figure out what to do my beet greens beyond steaming them. I'm looking forward to trying this, because I usually stir fry without a recipe and add one ingredient tooooo many or tooooo much.

Zoey said...

I always really like beet greens but I never think to pick them up at the store. I have only eaten them when I am out to eat. I may need to bravely try cooking them myself now.

Peace, Love and Veganism said...

Good to know about the beet greens! I usually just put them in the composter, because we get loads of greens already from our CSA.

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with this particular post, but ever since I started reading your blog I have been wanting to get my hands on a copy of Veganomicon and I finally did. Have you tried the Pineapple Cashew Quinoa Stirfry? If not, you MUST. It is one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. Seriously.