Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Product Review: WK Pacs (or Indian cooking made easy)

Recently the folks at Waverly Kitchens asked if we'd like to sample their WK Pacs, which provide a foolproof way to create an authentic Indian meal at home. Not being ones to ever turn down a good Indian meal we were happy to oblige. The WK Pacs include the spices and instructions you need to cook your own three course Indian meal. Ours included the Chola (chickpeas), Potatoes & Peas (a sabji, or dry vegetable dish) and a Spinach Raita (yogurt dish, or soy yogurt in this case).

I've dabbled in Indian cooking before and have even learned some tips from Indian friends in the past but this was probably the most authentic tasting Indian meal I've made. It's all in the spices and that's what you get from the WK Pacs. Plus a shopping list and straightforward instructions. Honestly, I'm not sure if we'll sign up for a subscription but this allowed us to enjoy a great home-cooked Indian meal and there's certainly something appealing about doing that every month.

10 comments:

panda with cookie said...

at 7:37 am, those potatoes and peas look mighty tasty.

SereneCooking said...

So is it basically a few spice packets? $9.99 seems kind of steep for that.

Bianca said...

I've seen these reviews on other blogs, and I wish I could convince myself to spend $9.99 a month on a subscription. I love Indian food and I'm not too familiar with many of the traditional spices so this would make things easier for me.

Chris said...

I agree SereneCooking, though it's about the convenience too, of not having to gather all the individual spices. Plus there's the shopping list and cooking instructions so I think of it as sort of a mini cookbook. I tend to be frugal (some might say cheap ;) hence my comment about probably not getting the subscription, but if I had more disposable income I may well do it.

Gina Bianchini said...

These are great. I'm not a huge cook but their recipes and spices are simple and turn out great. They are foolproof.

aTxVegn said...

I haven't heard of this brand, but I've had some really good Indian spiced packs before. The dishes all sound great!

elizabeth brigid, said...

Mmm, Indian food! Trying this soon. I added your blog to my link list, hope you don't mind :)
- Liz
http://vegansixteen.blogspot.com/

Zoey said...

Your food looks delicious. I have been craving Indian food lately.

luckytastebuds said...

Hi there!!

I just found your fabulous site and I have to say, I LOVE how you write and the foods you can make on a vegan diet (SO floored by your creations, stir-fries, and OMG i love those sausages). WOW everything looks so scrumptious even though I'm not vegan!! Keep up this wonderful blog!!! :)

P.s. I'm doin' a little giveaway on mine if you'd like to check that out, please do!!

James Reno said...

That looks really good. I must admit I've never tried Indian food before, but the ingredients sound great. I have enjoyed Lebanese cuisine, so am looking forward to making something new!

To Your Health!
James Reno (editor)
Raw-Food-Repair.com