Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Product Review: Curry Love

We love curries and we're also all about convenience these days so we were thrilled to have a chance to review these new simmer sauces from Curry Love. They're vegan and organic and come in three varieties: banana ginger, red Thai, and yellow Thai. The general idea is to sauté some veggies, pour in the sauce and simmer for a few minutes. The Curry Love folks offer a wealth of recipes on their web site but alas, only one of them is vegan. At any rate, we've been getting a lot of great fresh vegetables from our CSA and we're always in a hurry so we mostly kept it simple. First up we tried the yellow Thai curry with cauliflower, zucchini and seitan. I sautéed the veggies and seitan in a little oil for a few minutes then added the curry sauce, covered the pot and simmered until the veggies were tender. The result was a very quick meal that tasted like it took a lot longer to prepare.

Next up we tried the red Thai curry, opting to do something similar and have it with broccoli and seitan. This was my favorite of the lot, with a variety of subtle flavors and a nice little kick.

Finally, we had the banana ginger curry using just a slew of veggies (some from the CSA and some not): yellow squash, kale, carrots, red bell pepper and onions. Plus pineapple - always good in a curry I think. (Fresh pineapple would've been best but I opted for the convenience of canned.)

Overall we definitely enjoyed our Curry Love experience. We especially appreciated the convenience. It's great to see new products like this come out that are specifically labeled as vegan (though more vegan recipes on their web site wouldn't hurt).

6 comments:

Bianca said...

Banana ginger is a really interesting flavor. Not one I'd normally want to try, but I bet it's tasty....I love your seitan cubes. Everything tastes better in cubes.

caribbeanvegan said...

Curry love sounds great. I do not think anyone could like curries more than I do. I like your blog may I add it to my blogroll?

Tay
Caribbean Vegan

Chris said...

Absolutely Tay. You might be interested in this post from our archives too.

stellatex said...

Mmmm. Curry. This is excellent!

The Mangerchine's said...

Banana ginger... how interesting! I am a HUGE fan of coconut red curry... yum!!!!

Shannon

Alex said...

looks good.