Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Simple Salads

This is probably already making the rounds on blogs and in forums but in case you've yet to see it, I thought I'd get up a quick post about this Mark Bittman article, 101 Simple Salads for the Season. The first third or so of the list is vegan and there are a number of good ideas there I want to try. Tonight we made numbers 1 and 3 on the list and both were outstanding. For #1, we used nectarines from our CSA instead of peaches or watermelon, cherry tomatoes, Thai basil, orange champagne vinegar and olive oil. You might think mixing nectarines with tomatoes is odd but I thought it interesting that I didn't notice a strong nectarine taste, it just made the tomatoes taste sweeter.
We also made the simple cucumber salad with red onion (both also from the CSA), and a whole grain yellow mustard instead of Dijon. Very yummy.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I hadn't seen that article, yet so thanks for pointing it out. The salads look really refreshing.

Bianca said...

Nectarines and tomatoes actually sound like they'd go great together. And the mustard cuke combo also sounds fab!

aTxVegn said...

I knew about the list but haven't had time to go through it yet. All I eat is salads lately, so yay! I've been eating tomatoes with mango, and sometimes with avocado too. Very refreshing.