Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Black Bean Baked Pasta

Here's a recipe I've been meaning to post for a different sort of baked pasta. I came up with this one night while pondering how to use up some yellow squash from our CSA. I ended up using too many bread crumbs for the topping but I think I've rectified that in the recipe below.

1 lb. pasta
1 Tbs. canola oil
1 medium onion, diced
3/4 lb. yellow squash, cut into large dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
3/4 tsp. dried oregano
2 c. cooked black beans (or 1 can)
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 Tbs. tomato paste
salt & pepper to taste

For the topping:
3 Tbs. Earth Balance, melted
1 1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/2 c. nutritional yeast
2 tsp. chili powder

Cook pasta according to package directions in plenty of boiling water. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook for a couple minutes then add squash and cook until squash is just getting a little tender. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt & pepper and cook for another minute. Add black beans, tomatoes and tomato paste and mix until well combined. Combine all this with the pasta in a large bowl. Pour into a lightly oiled 9" x 13" baking dish. Combine all the topping ingredients in a small bowl and spread on top of the pasta. Bake at 375° for about 30 minutes until the topping is getting brown.

7 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

I love how different this is from the usual baked pasta dishes I see. All of those ingredients are some of my favorites so I can imagine how delicious this must taste. Thanks for the recipe!

Desdemona said...

This looks good, and gives me renewed hope for all the yellow squash currently languishing in my refrigerator!

Bianca said...

Yum! Black beans, squash, and pasta all baked together! That sounds wonderful!

Veggie85 said...

That looks lke a great dish to bring to a potluck!

Don Evans said...

The bread crumbs make it look tasty, will have to try this one. Oh yeah and the beans.

Erika said...

WOW!
I was just thinking of the right recipe to try out for Sunday's dinner, and I think this is perfect! Thanks for sharing.

Stacy said...

I Love pasta! I gotta try this!!
Thank you so much for sharing!!