Thursday, August 27, 2009

Summer Veggies


It has occurred to me that I've been neglecting this poor blog but I guess that's what happens when you have a 15-month old. Our meals these days often consist of a quick pasta, or sometimes just something frozen. This particular meal isn't necessarily something to write home about (and maybe not something to write a blog post about) but it's all I've got at the moment. Actually it was very tasty. And a good way to use a bunch of fresh veggies from our CSA. We got corn and fresh lima beans together and I thought of succotash again, but then at the last minute I decided to cook the limas with squash instead of corn. Either way they're much better than frozen lima beans. I also used up a bell pepper by slicing it and frying it with tempeh slices. At the end I poured on a mixture of soy sauce, maple syrup, ketchup and a dash of liquid smoke. Probably better to marinate the tempeh first but this was the quick method and it turned out good. Finally, we had a simple tomato salad on the side, which is something we've been having a lot of these days and never tire of. Simple is best here - chopped tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil, a dash of red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.

7 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

Oooh that plate of food looks awesome, tasty and fresh. Great photo!

panda with cookie said...

Fresh summer veggies are always a good blog post!

Marissa said...

I feel your pain. I have been trying to eat through my CSA boxes, but coming up with interesting blog posts when all you really do is eat the same ingredients over and over again is a challenge.

I have been eating summer squash like mad, and I am addicted to my vegan parmesan concoction. Might try it out on your veg ;-)

http://pumpkinandpomegranate.com/2009/vegan-italian-spice-parmesan/

Bianca said...

Those kinds of meals are the best! I wish I had some fresh limas.

Ianqui said...

Do you make homemade meals that a 15 month old will eat? I have a 14 month old, a weekly CSA box, and an interest in kid-friendly recipes!

Chris said...

Mostly we still just cook different veggies (and fruits, beans, grains, etc.) and puree or mash them. We freeze them in cubes then combine and defrost in the microwave as needed. We've also made simple soups, like split pea and lentil. We have the book Simply Natural Baby Food and have gotten some good ideas from that too.

bazu said...

Oh how I love summer veggies... looks awesome!