Friday, September 11, 2009

Raw Stuffed Peppers

The last few weeks from our CSA we've been getting these "snack peppers", which are basically cute little bell peppers. At first I wasn't sure what to make of them (or with them) but they're aptly named because they're super sweet and perfect for snacking on. Last weekend we got a whole pound of them and Darlene had the brilliant idea to stuff them with a raw filling. Normally this might be a tasty appetizer but these days if we do anything remotely involved we make a meal out of it. I don't think the presentation and the picture do them justice because they really were fabulous.

Here's what we did; the filling is adapted from the Garden Pate in Ani's Raw Food Kitchen.

1 lb. small bell peppers, halved and seeded
1 c. raw cashews
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. salt
3 carrots
2 stalks celery
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1/2 c. raisins

Cover the cashews with water in a small bowl and soak for several hours. Coarsely chop the garlic, carrots and celery and add these to a food processor with everything else except the peppers. Buzz in the food processor until everything is finely copped then spoon into the pepper halves and serve. Simple!

6 comments:

Raw Food Restaurant Los Angeles said...

Those raw food peppers sound awesome. Nice photo too.

Mel said...

This is absolutely sensational! I would never have thought of doing the stuffed peppers raw. They do look great! I love anything with cashews in it also.

James Reno said...

I am always amazed at the delicious combinations people come up with. Since switching to a raw food diet I've enjoyed more flavors than I can remember when I used to eat everything! Keep up the great work!

To Your Health!
James Reno (editor)
Raw-Food-Repair.com

I am a Tornado ~ proven fact! said...

I am definitely trying these. I love those little peppers and I am definitely eating more raw foods these days!

World of the Curious Blogger said...

I made this recipe with less oil, using 1 Tablespoon olive oil (instead of 3), but the consistency with less olive oil was not suitable for spreading, so I added 2 Tablespoons raw honey. It came out slightly sweet, with a good consistency for spreading. A very quick and nice stuffing for the peppers! Thank you for the recipe!

Emily said...

Just ate this for dinner... used 1 large bell pepper & cut everything in the recipe by a third, since it was just me. Yum! Thanks :)