Monday, October 26, 2009

New Kitchen!

After six and a half years in this house we finally broke down and remodeled our kitchen. The old kitchen had a certain funky charm with its huge cast iron sink and painted cabinets but it dated to when our house was built in 1958 so we figured over 50 years was a good life span for a kitchen. The main issues were the lack of a dishwasher and drawers that slid open on friction so we always had sawdust all over our pots and pans below. Plus the sink cabinet was completely rotten underneath from a long-ago water leak. We couldn't afford the higher-end builder we talked to so we went to Lowe's and made it work by getting middle-of-the-road cabinets and counters and doing some of the work ourselves. We gained some cabinet space and a good bit of counter space and are quite happy with the result.

Here's the "before" picture in all its cluttered glory.

We don't quite have a final "after" picture yet because there was a mistake with the countertop order and the sink counter arrived two inches too short. The short counter was installed temporarily but there's a gap between the counter and wall. Hopefully a new counter will come in any day now and the short one will be replaced. Once that's done we can mount a few things on the wall by the sink, and I'm also planning on building a new spice rack since there's not enough room for our old one anymore.

And now that we have a great new kitchen maybe we'll start cooking more in it and get back to posting about food one day soon!

15 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

I LOVE the pink wall! Congrats on your new kitchen, can't wait to see what you make in it.

Liz said...

How exciting! I think the addition of a dishwasher must be the best part. Well, maybe the spice rack will beat it...

Jon Fisher said...

Very nice, looks great!

Amey said...

wow cool! congratulations on a fresh kitchen. It's very exciting.

James Reno said...

Excellent Job. I hope you create many wonderful meals and memories, as I am sure you did in the previous kitchen!

To Your Health!
James Reno (editor)
Raw-Food-Repair.com

Courtney said...

I like BOTH of your kitchens--they are both really lovely! But a dishwasher?! I think that is the best part...I would love a dishwasher!

Courtney

Raising Seven Vegans said...

It's very nice! Great blog by the way!

aTxVegn said...

It's wonderful! I'll bet you can't wait to cook up all kinds of yummies in your fabulous new kitchen.

Whitney @ Lettuce Love said...

LOVE the wall color! Everything looks great.

Susan G said...

Looks great! Glad to see you kept some funkiness with that hot pink wall! I once had my whole living room a similar (perhaps slightly more subdued) color.

Andry said...

Spacify offers a wide selection of quality kitchen furniture that fits your home.

bazu said...

oooh! nothing like a spanking new space to inspire lots of cooking creativity- happy new kitchen!

kitchen table said...

Congratulation for your new kitchen. It is very appealing. The colors are very pleasing. I wish I can renovate my kitchen too.

Susan Graham said...

Oh my goodness! That is just SOO sweet!! Something like that would retail for a few hundred dollars and you did it Fabulously for oh so less!!! Thanks for the great pics of everything you did. :>

Kia said...

Hi! I love your kitchen color...it's the same of my !!! I discover your blog right now and I like it!!! I'm Vegan and I have a blog equoecoevegan.blogspot.com…come in and leave me your review about it! Bye ^__^