Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Product Review: Cool Cups

Remember Jell-o? If you weren't vegan as a kid you probably ate plenty of it. I can't say I really miss this stuff, what with the artificial flavors and all, but I did jump at the chance to sample Cool Cups recently. In two words: vegan Jell-o. Oh, but so much better! No nasty gelatin for one thing. And no artificial colors or flavors for another. We had great fun snacking on all three flavors (orange, peach mango & black cherry). Our toddler liked them too but they do contain a good bit of sugar so mostly we kept them for ourselves. If there's one drawback it's the packaging. There's only one place I know of around here that will recycle the #5 plastic cups. Hopefully they'll figure out how to package them in something that's more easily recyclable. They're also supposed to be coming out with a powdered mix you can make at home, which will certainly also help reduce the packaging. I wonder if it'll work the same as Jell-o with alcohol. Cool Cups shots anyone?

7 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

These look like a great treat, thanks for the review!

Bianca said...

Yum! On the alcohol front, there used to be a brand of vegan jello sold at Wild Oats here (before the Whole Foods takeover) and I bought it for several parties for jello shot makin'. It worked wonderfully. Hopefully, this brand will do the same.

Jean said...

Doesn't buying something like that in a disposable package defeat the purpose of veganism, which is to not harm?

James Reno said...

I bet it tastes good, but not sure how much nutrition it would give you. I have found the most nutrient dense foods are from the produce section and have not been processed.

To Your Health!
James Reno (editor)
Raw-Food-Repair.com

Chris said...

Jean - sometimes we buy our tofu in a disposable package too. We do the best we can.

James - it doesn't give you much nutrition and again, we do the best we can to avoid processed foods. I certainly wouldn't eat something like this daily, but I do happen to think it's a fun snack every once in a while.

James Reno said...

I hear ya Chris!

Sometimes when I am out and about cannot make that green vegan smoothie. Just have to grab what is available, unless you can plan and execute like a robot (I can't) :-)

To Your Health!
James Reno (editor)
Raw-Food-Repair.com

Jennifer said...

Yum and yum! You and Biancas idea sounds fun =)

Jenn
Head Cabbage: HelloVeggie.Org