Sunday, December 27, 2009

The End

I'll cut to the chase - I won't be updating this blog anymore. I'm finding I just don't have the time or energy to keep writing regularly and more importantly to keep it fresh and interesting. I've had so much fun writing this blog these last 4+ years. There were very few vegan food blogs when we started but now there are hundreds - please go show them some love.

I feel like I've already let this one languish but rather than let it languish any more, it will have a definitive end. A huge thanks to all of you who have stopped by over the years - I've enjoyed reading your comments and getting to know some of you. This site will most certainly stay here as long as Blogger is in existence so I encourage you to browse the archives of over 600 posts (you could start with my top 10 list). I'll probably stay on Twitter so you can follow me there (@eatair) or just check out my updates in the sidebar here.

I don't want to leave you completely empty handed so below is a recipe I took to a Christmas potluck recently. I threw it together very quickly with what we had on hand but it garnered a few compliments so I wanted to share.

cheers,
Chris


Walnut and Barley Salad

1 c. barley
2 c. water
1 carrot, grated
1 stalk celery, diced
1/3 c. chopped walnuts, toasted
2 Tbs. each dried cranberries & dried blueberries
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
pinch each ground cumin and cinnamon
salt & fresh ground pepper
3 Tbs. olive oil

Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan and add the barley. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Allow the barley to cool for a short time then add it to a large bowl with the carrot, celery, walnuts, cranberries and blueberries. In another small bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients. Add to the barley then refrigerate until ready to serve.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a wonderful blog!

Scott Carlson said...

Thanks for everything so far. Good luck.

VeggieGirl said...

Take good care!

Anonymous said...

I certainly understand, but I am so disappointed -- yours is my absolute favorite blog!

Best wishes!

pksarna said...

I loved your blog! Thanks for all the good years of posting. That's quite a lovely recipe to end on! Good luck with raising the baby and family life. We've appreciated your blog very much.

Desdemona said...

I'm sorry to see you call it a day, but I understand - it's hard to find the time to keep updating, especially with a small child. Thanks for all the great recipes, and best of luck for the future!

Jon Fisher said...

Your blog will be missed!

Jon

Mona said...

I've loved reading this blog. Best wishes to you and yours.

The Voracious Vegan said...

I'm sad to see you go but I will be glad to peek through your archives and look at your fantastic recipes. Thank you for all you've done, take care!

Mihl said...

I will miss your blog, it was always one of my favourites! Thank you for all the wonderful posts.

mysticxian said...

NOOOoooooOOOOO.
I'm so sad to see you go. This was the very first blog that I ever read that started my journey to veganism. :(

But I understand that life (especially family) must come first.
Take care of yourself.

Mark said...

Best of luck with everything and many thanks.

Amey said...

Chris!
You know I am a loyal follower - I'll miss your blog, but I totally understand the desire for a clean ending. It's like you said, there are SO MANY vegan blogs nowadays... it's pretty crazy. Well, you and your blog will always have a special place in my heart. Hope all is well!
:) Amey

Sailinghome said...

thanks for all the posts, and good luck in the future...!

BeingAVeganAthlete said...

Thanks for the blog - what a great resource - sorry that it has to end...

Courtney said...

Awww...so sad to see it end :-( Thanks for all of your posts!

Courtney

aTxVegn said...

Thanks for all your wonderful posts! Sad to see you go.

Chris said...

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I'll miss this interaction but my life is filled in other ways now (the main one being a soon-to-be 2 year old!).

Valerie said...

I'm so sorry to see you go. I've been out of the country and just read your latest blog. I certainly understand being very busy. Sorry that I won't be seeing you on Twitter, as I am trying to cut down on computer time. Good luck.

jennyfurlynn said...

thank you! i've really enjoyed your blog & your recipes. they helped me transition into veganism and i'll always be grateful for your help in those early days! :)

Lindsey Lou Hoo said...

You will be sorely missed in Veggie Blog world, but as long as you leave up the posts as you said, I shall be content wallowing through endless recipes :)

Anonymous said...

good work and interesting recipes

College Term Papers said...

Great series. A bit out of my league, but I’m learning stuff each step of the way. Can’t wait to get to it.

Geraldine said...

I'm just back to blogging, after an extended break, thought Id stop in. I am so sorry to read you are calling it quits here at Eat Air. I really enjoyed your posts but I can also understand when other commitments take up more time. Hope you are all doing well.

Many hugs and thanks for all the great posts in the past.

Geraldine

www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com
www.veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com

remember me?

April said...

Awww, this looks great! I love cooking with barley, but it is usually a breakfast-type dish. I like the idea of having the celery and carrots in it for a lite lunch.

And of course the cranberries and walnuts just go with barley (I think).

I have tried experimenting with cooking barley in my crock-pot. I'm still working on the ratio of water to barley so the grain is not too hard or too wet. It's nice having it warm and ready to eat when I wake up.

Add some nuts/cranberries, fresh fruit and almond milk and smoothie and it's a breakfast of champions!!!

VeggieKelly said...

Sounds mmmm!

VeggieKelly said...

Sounds so good! LOVELY BLOG!

Success said...

Thanks for an awesome variety of tasty, creative vegan food options!

sarah Forrester wendt said...

I'm loving this blog! Thank you for all your hard work. It is nice finding like-minded people.

Sarah Forrester Wendt
www.macromom.ca

Shiela Marvel said...

Awww...i just wish you well my dear. I'll be reading back through your archives, maybe.

Faith Ellens said...

I'm not so much of a veggie eater but this food looks delicious! Great job!

Anadrol said...

Thanks for the barley recipe / tip, it's just what I was looking for.

AnaDrol

Sunburn Treatment said...

thanks for for writing your blog! i'm sorry to hear you won't be doin it any more...take care!

Vegan Food said...

Vegan food never looked so good!

Soy food said...

It is sad to see a wonderful blog go away. Thanks for the inspiration to live a healthy life.